Monday, October 7, 2024

Teripang Crackers. Do you believe that this food comes from the sea?

Teripang Crackers
What do you know about the food you eat and comes from the ocean? Of course you know fish, squid, lobster, crab and shrimp. But have you ever known dishes that come from the sea with unique body shapes? Well, the marine animals that I tell you about here live on the seabed. Many are found in the Pacific Ocean. In fact, this animal is said to have been sought after by the world's greatest sailors in ancient times to make a delicious dish.

What are sea animals? Maybe some of you have heard of sea cucumbers (Teripang). This sea cucumber is actually no stranger to East Asian people, especially China. Even in China, sea cucumbers are used as a delicious menu when Chinese New Year celebrations arrive. They prepare it with various typical Oriental spices. However, it is not the sea cucumber dish that I am discussing here. I will tell you about my experience of tasting sea cucumbers in dried form, aka crackers.

For Indonesian people, especially in coastal areas, sea cucumbers are no stranger. They also eat it. However, if during the season there are lots of sea cucumbers when catching fish in the sea, the sea cucumbers are preserved by drying them in the sun. With this preservation method, the sea cucumbers dry out and can be eaten like crackers.

Teripang Crackers. Do You Believe that This Food Comes from the Sea?
My curiosity began to peak, I started ordering sea cucumber crackers online. I didn't order much, only two packs. I also don't have high expectations for the taste, especially since it doesn't use any additional spices, just salt.

A few days later my order arrived. I started to open the package which contained sea cucumber crackers. The smell is familiar to me, similar to the smell of cowhide crackers that I usually eat (Indonesians like to process cowhide into crackers). The shape is not attractive, I can honestly say that, more like a pup (sorry). The inside of the sea cucumber looks like there are vertical white lines, two or three lines. How about the taste? Similar to cowhide crackers. As I took bite after bite, I saw that there were cavities in the sea cucumber's flesh. I don't know for sure whether fresh sea cucumber flesh is also hollow or not. So I conclude that it tastes plan, with a slight sandy taste and smell that of course we feel in marine animals in general.

This snack looks light and simple. Suitable for those who don't really care about the strong taste of spices, because I have already said that the seasoning for sea cucumber crackers is salt (but I don't know whether other productions use additional spices or not). I started browsing to find the benefits of sea cucumbers. It turns out that sea cucumbers are efficacious in treating diabetes, and have a good amount of protein. This snack can be said to be a snack made from healthy natural ingredients.

Teripang Crackers. Do You Believe that This Food Comes from the Sea?
If you want a light snack and the taste is not too strong and with a natural taste, I recommend it for you. However, if you like snacks made from processed meat, strong flavors, and like sweet flavors, of course this will be different.

OK, here are the results of my review of seafood snacks, namely sea cucumber crackers. If you have opinions or responses, please write them in the comments column below this article.

No comments:

Post a Comment