Saturday, October 5, 2024

Indonesian Military Food, does it taste good or…?

The Indonesian Meal, Ready-To-Eat (MRE)
When I was looking at products on e-commerce, I accidentally saw sales of Indonesian military food  or Meal, Ready-To-Eat (MRE) ration products. The shape is wrapped in a foil container, with medium size. There are many choices of flavors, there is Balinese spiced rice, rendang, oyster sauce, and various other unique flavors which I think are quite appetizing.

I was silent for a moment, looking at the products that I thought were quite interesting. Until I thought, does it taste good? After eating this food, will I become a super hero? ha ha. Or add extra power?

Not only rice, but also biscuits and cereal in the form of drinks. Without thinking, I ordered the food full of curiosity. The biscuits have a choice of different flavors, there are vanilla, cheese and capuccino flavors. The shape is round, flat and quite large. Meanwhile, the cereal drink has chocolate and vanilla flavors.

About three days, my food order arrived. I ordered one box of oyster sauce meat rice, one sachet of cereal, two packs of cheese-flavored biscuits. All products are wrapped in dark/black foil. I didn't have high expectations for the taste, understand, this is not food for pleasure. But this food is a ration for soldiers when they are on the battlefield, guarding the country's borders, when the country is hit by conflict, or when serving in the wilderness. I don't know, it's possible that the contents of this food are full of dense nutrition that can support soldiers' activities optimally.

The Biscuit, The Meal, Ready-To-Eat (MRE)
I unwrapped the biscuits first, they smelled delicious. The biscuits are slightly soft, with a distinctive cheese smell that is quite sharp. I broke the biscuit, and I started swallowing it. Turns out it tastes pretty good. These biscuits remind me of growth biscuits for babies or toddlers. I believe that the composition of this biscuit prioritizes nutrition over taste. My 2 year old daughter also ate it, and she was addicted to the delicious taste. Maybe this food is also the same as emergency food when ship passengers are in lifeboats waiting for help. In one package, contains two biscuits. Delicious enough for breakfast. It is dense in shape but easy to chew.

The Rice, The Indonesian Meal, Ready-To-Eat (MRE)
The second food I tasted was rice which is the main menu. I heated the box first. You can heat this food using a microwave, warm water, or a steamer which makes this rice delicious when eaten. When opened, the fragrant smell of this food is quite noticeable. There are no vegetables in this food, only rice, meat and eggs. The rice is quite dense, there is quite a lot of meat, and the boiled egg is quite hard in my opinion but of good quality from its appearance. It's just that this food is not fresh enough, in my opinion. If soldiers continuously eat this food, I'm sure they will get bored even though the taste choices are varied. Sufficient when in an emergency. It tastes quite good, but I would definitely choose freshly cooked food instead of this food. But as a distraction, this food is worth a try.

OK, let's move on to the cereal drinks. The presentation is similar to cereal drinks in general, this drink simply needs to be brewed with hot water. I chose the chocolate flavor. When I tried it, it turned out that this drink didn't taste much different from cereal drinks in general. It's just that it's not too sweet and I like the formula. Almost all army snacks are formulated with low sugar levels. But I'm sure, these foods are full of high protein, calories and carbon.

OK, that's all for my review of the food rations for the Indonesian national army. If you have questions or opinions, please write them in the comments column. Hope your days are fun…

No comments:

Post a Comment